Chickpeas are an excellent vegan and gluten free source of protein and fiber. It also contains exceptional levels of iron and vit b-6. These cutlets served with a red pepper and hummus dip are nutritious and can be a part of your family meal. I hesitatingly offered one to my fussy preschooler and he din’t seem to mind it at all – I consider that a win!
Two cups chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 onion finely chopped
1 inch ginger, crushed
1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
7-8 sundried tomatoes, soaked in hot water for 10 min
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 t cumin powder
1 t coriander powder
2 T olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook the chickpeas in a pressure cooker until slightly tender (approx 3 whistles)
2. Once cool, coarsely blend in a mixture grinder. Keep aside.
3. In a saucepan, add 1 T olive oil and saute the onions until translucent.
4. Add the ginger and green chilli and saute for another minute.
5. Now add the ground chickpeas, chopped sun dried tomatoes and spices and mix well.
6. Cook for a couple minutes till it all combines well.
7. Cool and shape into round cutlets.
8. Heat a non-stick pan and coat with olive oil.
9. Cook the cutlets on medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.
10. Serve with a red pepper and hummus dip.